Saturday, October 30, 2010

Great Quote

You know when you can read something a million times and it finally clicks? I was reading this and when I read it aloud to Matt, it "clicked" I love this because you can use it for any type of trial you are going through, no matter how big or small!!! Sometimes you wonder why things are happening and as for me, I need a small reminder sometimes that I need to remember that the Lord is mindful of me and there is a reason, I just have to take the time to figure out what He is trying to teaching me!

Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith. It means being “willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father.”8 Ultimately, patience means being “firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord”9 every hour of every day, even when it is hard to do so. In the words of John the Revelator, “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and … faith [in] Jesus.”10Brigham Young taught that when something came up which he could not comprehend fully, he would pray to the Lord, “Give me patience to wait until I can understand it for myself.”5 And then Brigham would continue to pray until he could comprehend it.The work of patience boils down to this: keep the commandments; trust in God, our Heavenly Father; serve Him with meekness and Christlike love; exercise faith and hope in the Savior; and never give up. The lessons we learn from patience will cultivate our character, lift our lives, and heighten our happiness. They will help us to become worthy and faithful disciples of our Master, Jesus Christ.It is my prayer that patience will be a defining characteristic…in our lives; that we will courageously trust the Lord’s promises and His timing; that we will act toward others with the patience and compassion we seek for ourselves; and that we will continue in patience until we are perfected. ...Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!

3 comments:

Ashlee, Justin, & Owen said...

I love that quote! My favorite is what Brigham Young said. Justin needs to work on his patience :) I will show this to him.

Becky said...

I love that. "Patience is not just enduring, it's enduring it well." So true. I need to post that in my house somewhere.

Dixons said...

This is what my lesson was on last month. I love these quotes. I think the reason I had to have patience is since I'm gearing up for potty training.:) Miss you.